Field Squadron 25-pounders in a camoflaged, sandbagged position..

2721 Field Squadron – Op Torch 1942

Formed as No 721 Squadron at Mildenhall in July 1941, having been unnumbered from the previous April and absorbed into the RAF Regiment on 1 Feb 1942. Numbered, it moved to RAF Kenley in 1942, converting to a Field Squadron in October 1942.

Squadron Leader Archibald Alexander Stewart, Military Cross

Squadron Leader “Jock” Stewart MC

On 15 June 1955, Squadron Leader Archibald Alexander “Jock” Stewart, RAF Regiment was the second in command of a force of Aden Protectorate Levies operating in Wadi Hatib, a disturbed tribal area of the Western Aden Protectorate.

Flying Officer Angus Ian Mitchell MC pictured on the right of a column of troops marching towards the camera

Flying Officer ‘Mad Mitch’ Mitchell MC

No 2942 Field Squadron RAF Regiment, was one of a dozen RAF Regiment units deployed in the Arakan to defend airstrips and radar units. By the beginning of 1944, these units were concentrated on the Imphal Plain and in the Surma Valley.

Gunners wave as a Spitfire performs a low flyby

The Regiment in Burma

In November 1942, a Regimental Centre was established at Secunderabad, where the first Field Squadrons and AA Flights for Service in Burma were formed. The training of these units was carried out initially by Army NCOs, and the assault course at Secunderabad gained the reputation for being the most exacting in the Far East.

Ferret MKII Scout Car

Ferret Mark II Scout Car

The Ferret Mark II Scout Car entered service in 1955 with No. 10 (Armoured Car) Squadron of the Aden Protectorate Levies who were the first unit to be so equipped.