The vehicle was designed for escort duties and reconnaissance tasks and was armed with one 0.30-inch Browning Machine Gun. No. 10 Squadron was on continuous active service and in one particular engagement in February 1957 at Neg’d Merghid in the Wadi Mablaqa on the northern frontier with the Yemen, Flight Lieutenant LG Calvert and Sergeant JF Molyneux, both of the RAF Regiment, won the Military Cross and Military Medal respectively.
The Ferret Mark II Scout Car entered service in 1955 with No. 10 (Armoured Car) Squadron of the Aden Protectorate Levies who were the first unit to be so equipped.